The world's first integrated cell culture observation device.
The Nikon BioStation CT allows imaging experiments to be conducted without ever removing the cells from the incubator. Consisting of a standard sized tissue culture incubator with an inverted microscope inside, BioStation CT holds 30 vessels ranging from 96 well plates to 75cm2 flasks, which are moved between the microscope stage and the vessel rack via a robotic device while maintaining precise levels of CO2, humidity, and temperature. BioStation CT provides images from 2x to 40x phase images with apodized phase contrast (APC) optics and fluorescence images with three color LED illumination. A bird's eye color macro view allows the entire vessel to be viewed from above. Complete security is provided: users access only the samples for which they have clearance. Experimental results are reliably traced and can be accessed remotely via an internet connection or LAN.
Stem Cell Screening Inside the Incubator
In the culture and observation of cells, conventional equipment places stress on valuable cell lines, risks contamination, and can lead to decreased cell viability. The BioStation CT automatically conducts operations from culture to observation of cells under optimal conditions in the same incubator, according to a user-configured schedule. Moreover, culture condition records are saved with image data for worry-free culture of important samples.
Cell viability is dependent on the performance of the CO2 incubation system. Nikon’s BioStation employs powerful functionality for stable environmental control of CO2, temperature, and humidity, reducing stress on cells; thereby enhancing viability.
- Temperature Management - A direct heating system that accurately maintains a constant temperature is employed for temperature management. Sheet type heaters built into the incubator’s six sides directly control the temperature.
- Humidity Management - An advanced humidification system is employed for humidity management. The risk of contamination, common in standard incubation sytems, has been reduced through the use of an air jet.
- Reduction of Stress on Cells - An access gate is used to minimize transient environmental fluctuations when placing samples in the carrier. The access gate is a much smaller area then the entire incubator door.
- Accurate Records of Environmental Changes - The control unit is equipped with a computer that records environmental changes along the time axis. It allows secure management of three major elements (temperature, humidity and CO2 concentration) of the incubator and saves environmental changes linked to images as a log.
The enclosed inverted microscope offers sophisticated imaging capabilities:
- Images captured with 1 megapixel cooled CCD camera
- Range of magnification from 2x to 40x that can be user selected depending on application requirements.
- An image acquisition system with auto focus allows simple and accurate observation of cells and storage of images.
- A newly developed observation stage — specifically designed to perform in environments with humidity of over 95% — provides a broad 120 x 86mm observation area.
- Nikon’s exclusive Apodized Phase Contrast (APC) objective lens reduces halo and provides clear images of minute intracellular structures.
- An LED illumination system that is less phototoxic to cells than conventional equipment is used for fluorescence observation.
- The phase contrast illumination, which is typically difficult to adjust, provides optimal illumination at every magnification.
- Images captured with Color CCD Camera
- Confirm handwritten vessel notes, change in culture medium color, mold generation, etc.
- Perform colorimetric analysis on pH levels within the media
Vessel Rack and Transfer Unit
The BioStation CT's unique design includes a 30 space rack that can accommodate a wide variety of vessels, such as culture flasks, 35mm dishes and multi-well plates. As 30–24-well plates can be placed in the BioStation CT, there are endless configurations for simultaneous experimentation.
The transfer unit automatically transfers culture vessels from the rack to the inverted microscope according to a configured schedule. This transfer is executed with great care to avoid media splashing and mechanical vibration.
Operation and Data Acquisition
The BioStation CT is not only for culture and observation of cells, as it places great importance on cell traceability for each experiment. Post-culture experiments can also be conducted with high reliability.
- Removing culture vessels, viewing records and preparing schedules requires the user to log in. Use of a log-in menu allows secure storage of important cells and verification of all access and manipulation.
- With an easy-to-use and visually intuitive software menu, the number of culture vessels stored in each storage space is visible at a glance. Selected vessels can be individually moved to the access gate by the transfer unit, leaving all other trays untouched.
- Acquired cell culture data (temperature, humidity, CO2 gas concentration), name of handler, and saved images can be viewed. Remote observation from outside the laboratory via a network is also possible.
- 2 TB of on-board hard disk space for image storage.
- Visualize live fluorescence using cell-friendly LED excitation wavelengths for 5 channels
- Preconfigured for common fluorescent dyes: GFP, CFP, DsRed
- On-the-fly phase/fluorescent overlay for co-localization studies
- For use with off-the-shelf dichroic filters
- Captures maximum intensities without losing resolution
- Select offsets with individual fluorescence channels
- Real-time optimization of fluorescence signal to noise
- Save and re-use preferred settings
- More camera controls
Mixed Gas Environment
- Controls levels of CO2, O2, N2
- Mimics hypoxic environment
- Grow embryos in optimal condition
- Supports regenerative medicine applications
Image Analysis Software
- Flexible platform for the teaching of a broad range of microscopy image recognition applications
- Recipes provide a seamless and complete application execution with a single click on time-lapse movies
- Rapid and low cost application development
- Predictable performance and fast prototyping
CL-Quant Software Overview
BioStation CL-Quant is an innovative, next generation live-cell image analysis program that enables scientists to automatically detect, segment, measure, classify, analyze and discover cellular and subcellular phenotypes in their live-cell imaging experiments; in both brightfield (phase) and three-channel fluorescence. CL-Quant is a flexible platform which lets researchers ‘teach’ the computer using advanced decision-based methods for high volume execution and a broad range of microscopy image recognition applications. Pre-configured recipes are also available which provide a seamless and complete application execution with a single click on time-lapse movies.
To count cells, CL-Quant segments each cell individually from a phase contrast image.
Blue cells are cells with a characteristic shape which our universal cell detection recipe can measure. Here we identify that the culture is indeed growing over time by determining the distinct cell number as seen in the graph on the right.
To measure cell coverage, CL-Quant uses a universal recipe which can be applied to any adherent cell type.
The blue mask seen here indicates the area occupied by the cells. CL-Quant measures the confluency rates over time.
To measure the rate of cell division, CL-Quant compares dividing cells with the adherent cells from a brightfield image.
The red mask seen here indicates the cells undergoing mitosis. CL-Quant measures the confluency rates over time and simultaneously measures the mitotic index within this population.
Advanced - Analyze Subpopulations of Cells
To measure and compare multiple parameters, CL-Quant applies relevant overlapping masks.
The blue mask represents the total adherent cell population. The green mask counts the adherent cell population. The red mask counts the dividing cell population. CL-Quant allows for various ways to interpret the data by utilizing multiple masks in this way.